Saturday, June 2, 2007

Our First Anniversary

Today is the one year anniversary of J.R. and I being joined in holy matrimony. I have to admit, the past year has been an incredible journey that has seen some tremendous changes in my life. Other than the one semester that I lived on campus during college (and I went home every weekend), I lived with my family up until my wedding day. Thus, living "on my own" has been a change in itself, without mentioning any of the changes that married life brings with it.

You may wonder, "what has been the biggest change in my life over the past year?" I think that I can sum it up in one word: sacrifice. No, I would not say that I have been called to make any tremendous, completely life-altering sacrifices yet (unless pregnancy counts), but there are little things on a regular basis. Just as "Christ loved the Church and gave Himself up for her," (Ephesians 5:25) J.R. and I make sacrifices, though certainly smaller, for one another.

With this in mind, however, and even with all of the ups and downs of married life, being joined to another in the sacrament of holy matrimony is a truly beautiful and wonderful state in life. Being married to J.R. is where I am meant to be, and it brings me a joy unlike others. I would not trade it for all the riches of the world.


No comments: